Friday 15 June 2012

Slightly Torn Bodice


As part of genre research, to find my fit, I power-read The Secret Pearl by Mary Balogh.  I have read this particular book, and indeed this author, many times as I have a weakness for books that just unfold in front of me and require very little mental effort.  As opposed to most bodice rippers, Mrs Balogh does not create abrasive feisty heroines, who have feminine principles that are incongruous with the era in which it is set.   Her heroines are trapped by the social norms of the early 19th Century and I feel that the books are made richer for that.

This poses the question, does the reader of such fiction want a heroine indicative of the times or to picture herself in a pretty dress being crossed in love?  Do I read faux Regency love stories because I really want to read a saucy Pride & Prejudice?  Probably, yes.  I do.  Do I want to read about Mr Darcy doing rude things to Elizabeth Bennett?  Yes, but not Mr Collins and poor Charlotte Lucas.  That would not be a steamy, titillating scene.

Vampire Sex Novels are also going through a strong period of popularity.  The JR Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood series, which is a bit of an endurance test, combines a complicated eternal battle between good and evil with very graphic sex scenes.  Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series is far more light hearted and combines lots of different creatures of mythology to create a cast of thousands.  And then of course there is Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse novels which tell a drawn out love story and so keeps me buying each of the series because I want to know which vampire the heroine picks.

These books have no foot in reality, and allow for complete escapism.  There are no difficult historical facts to work around and in each case the vampires have traits that allow the author to use them as they will.  Cole’s vampires can teleport, Ward’s don’t drink from humans and Harris’ are integrated with human society.  And that is the joy of using mythology - it is totally freeing to the author.  If there are rules to comply with, then you are immediately trapped.

Is the answer then to write a steamy Regency vampire sex novel with no regard for historical fact?

No comments:

Post a Comment